The REAL Katie Perry Fashion runs through Katie’s blood. Her great grandfather was a wool merchant and her mother worked closely with the Benetton brothers. The designer Katie Perry could be described as a citizen of the world: living in Asia, Europe and South Africa before settling in Sydney. Katie built her own experience in the industry working as a stylist, manager and buyer for stores including Brown’s, Oroton and David Jones. Katie launched her own fashion label in 2006 and has clothed thousands of women in her sustainable , stylish , and travel-friendly signature line. 16 years in the fashion Industry has meant many challenges. She is now juggling her career with a active 3 year old , sassy 6 year old and a demanding and slightly anxious dog and being a wife.
Katie Perry was established in late 2006, to meet the growing need for women’s wear that mixes style with comfort and – luxurious style throughout the day. Its about making a woman feel more. More confident. More comfortable and More stylish Women around the world have commented on the fabric and feel. Katie Perry transcends fashion at work and fashion at play, and targets the 28-50+ year old woman demanding fashion, style, quality and comfort. A key to Katie’s collection has always been about how women feel and this has cemented her use of soft jersey in her collections. Comfort is so often aligned with clothes that have poor cut or are un-inspiring in style. This is something Katie Perry is changing. All the clothes are designed and made exclusively in Australia. Keeping business local ensures the highest quality goes into every step of the process. With a focus on sustainability -All merino and modal fabric are knitted and dyed in Melbourne . Recently partnered with greenspark to work together on Unicef projects including saving plastic bottles from the ocean and planting trees.
In this episode Katie shares what she has learned from running her own Fashion label, and the changes she has seen over that time having started before Instagram even existed!
- What is Katie Perry the Label all about? [2:04]
- Your business success starts with your mindset. It’s your asset [9:30]
- What are the significant changes that she has seen over time? [13:34]
- The love-hate relationship she had with social media promotions [16:55]
- When starting, it’s important to build relationships with other business-minded individuals. Collaborate instead of competing. [22:50]
- What’s Katie’s take on building a sustainable business? [25:04]
- Try to look for all the aspects of your business and navigate where you can be more sustainable [26:57]
- What are the most effective marketing tools for bringing in sales? [35:18]
- 9. What advice can she give people who want to start their clothing labels? [37:11]